Oh snap! I downloaded XP SP2 like a good boy, and now StyleXP tells me that it doesn't support this build! What can I do to make my interface not look like ass?
Never fear! Microsoft, being Microsoft, included a new version of uxtheme.dll in SP2 that prevented .msstyles files other than those included with XP from displaying properly. Luckily, some enterprising young fellow has patched uxtheme.dll.
Step by step:
- Go here and download the new uxtheme.dll. It's .rar'd, so you'll need a utility to unpack it.
- Reboot in Safe Mode by pressing F8 before the WinXP load screen starts.
- When XP boots, choose "Run in Safe Mode" from the dialog that pops up.
- Go to the directory where you unpacked uxtheme.dll, and copy it.
- Go to C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32. Rename the uxtheme.dll there to anything else (I picked uxtheme.bak.)
- Paste the patched uxtheme.dll.
- Reboot normally.
- Enable StyleXP.
- Pick the visual style of your choice!
Here I am, to sing you a song. And there you are, asleep against the windowpane, just like always.