Real Life Comics

2013-01-21 - Read Only

Talk about today's strip, or anything about the comic in general. You can also talk about any of the characters... but don't expect a response. They're FICTIONAL, you guys... sheesh. :)

2013-01-21 - Read Only

Postby Deacon on Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Seems like Read Only would still allow you to, well, read. Thus it isn't exactly private. TV is read-only. You can't push your own data back into a read-only file, sure, but you can look at it all you want. Isn't that what PAL is doing?
Eric (the Deacon remix)

The follies which a man regrets the most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity. - Helen Rowland, A Guide to Men, 1922
Deacon
Shining Adonis

Re: 2013-01-21 - Read Only

Postby ijuin on Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:40 am

I think he's looking for Write-Only Memory. In the Unix permissions scheme, that would mean he has Modify permission but not Read permission.
ijuin
Crazy Person

Postby Martin Blank on Wed Jan 23, 2013 4:42 am

You're getting into ACLs there. Basic permissions in POSIX cover read, write, and execute (plus setuid, setgid, and sticky). Modify doesn't appear in POSIX, but it does in NTFS ACLs. Getting write without read (unusual but possible) might cover this, but as PAL mentions, he is the system. He's running as root (a security problem in itself, but if PAL is the kernel and the kernel is PAL, it's understandable), so he can change permissions as required. Programming a kernel that can't change things at will is not a trivial task.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Postby bagheadinc on Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:48 pm

bagheadinc
Bay Harbor Butcher

Return to The Comic and The Characters