Serial Experiments Lain (withstood the test of time)

Play it? Watch it? Listen to it? Post it! Discuss Movies, TV, DVDs, CDs, and Evangelion! Compare Computer, Video, Pen & Paper, Sports, and any other games you want. Most anything entertaining is fair game.
Seannery
Crazy Person

Serial Experiments Lain (withstood the test of time)

Post by Seannery » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:45 pm

Lately, my hobby watching Serial Experiments Lain is returning (nice to see this forum interested, though a decade hence) From the start, it was very me. Those few seconds the door closing---jump---may be the most concise description of me then. But the interpretations I read baffled. Lain a god? Preposterous! My motive redoubled. But too immersive: start watching, watching details, details---

So, a more tempered approach. Maybe sharing drafts would keep me forward, astute to dissent. One serie per time. Keeping realism prime. Some thoughts:
  • Vivid imagination? Hallucinations? Artists' stylization?
  • A network connection service from her garage bedroom (iSDN)
I'll refine later.

---too perfect. I find myself no further than before. O, resisting purer aesthesis?
つづく
Rolling... ΨΥΧΉ
thoughts? suggestions?
Last edited by Seannery on Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:10 am, edited 5 times in total.
liberté, égalité, muliebrité

Rorschach
The Immoral Immortal

Re: Serial Experiments Lain (withstood the test of time)

Post by Rorschach » Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:16 am

I love your posts. They read like Barbelith from The Invisibles.
To Let

Seannery
Crazy Person

Fantasy Fuel

Post by Seannery » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:53 pm

Lain imagined? Karl&friend (how much) Saw strangerer (affect affected) black sedan (endogenous red dot) heard お姉さん's stranger salarymen (never were there)

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Thu Aug 27, 2020 4:41 pm

I think I may have had an aneurysm trying to read that.
~Insert clever bon mot here~

Seannery
Crazy Person

Layer:03

Post by Seannery » Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:43 am

Lain returning to empty house, parents' bedroom: on a date---Lain not recognizes. Emptier house, Lain retires. NAVI's (knowledge navigator i.e. computer) glow inviting, Lain falls asleep at the mouse. (Tyler Durden? first impression. It seems a valid interpretation that WIRED(internet)のLAIN is an alternate (split) personality of Lain)
Awakes still mid-night, rechecks house, parents' room, is relieved (they have returned) Checks MESSEZI (failing to depress the grayed keys). No messages aimed at her, she tells her NAVI 「お休みな」(good night) to which her NAVI responds「お休みなさい、LAIN」---a fairly stiff response, but Lain seems to react to it: attributes animism to her NAVI thereby?
Oversleeping benefits by radiance not only from more sun through the window, but that half-groggy self-leisure. Her mother's monotonous admonition and neat breakfast preserved, Lain only starts to speak about last night (their transient disappearance?) but changes her mind. Going to school:
Are they her thoughts? in motion by her
Shady splots, or kept a-wall
In train of thought, a voiced desire
Fear enhancing cortisol

The girls giggling about last night (cyberia), whether he was cute. Lain bored in class; mind wanders about ΨΥΧΉ (last night on the WIRED?), distressed recalling that noisy ghost her nosey guest (you get the gist---I suspect Lain read more about Tisa etc, too, last night) and a question of identity---I recently read an idea that WIREDのLAIN is an idolatrous instance of identity theft (by Knights? Tatibana?) allowed by Lain's not protecting her data---publishing too much about herself. She did jump fast into computers, from not using her old computer for much more than hanging a hat, to using much and often her new top-of-the-line machine.
Last edited by Seannery on Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Martin Blank
Knower of Things
Knower of Things

Post by Martin Blank » Sat Aug 29, 2020 5:03 am

Rorschach wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:16 am
I love your posts. They read like Barbelith from The Invisibles.
Their posts took me longer to approve than any since the goddamned beginning of the forum. Seriously. Longer than any in SEVENTEEN YEARS.

Still not sure.

Don't push me. I have two children age 4 and under. I'm used to making snap decisions.
If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.

raptor9k
Crazy Person

Post by raptor9k » Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:33 pm

I've never seen something seem to be, simultaneously, a human being and a machine learning algorithm?

Seannery
Crazy Person

Post by Seannery » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:49 am

raptor9k wrote:
Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:33 pm
I've never seen something seem to be, simultaneously, a human being and a machine learning algorithm?
Well, I do want to be a cyborg. I wasn't aware of it affecting my literary style.

FirebirdNC
Mad Hatteras

Post by FirebirdNC » Sun Aug 30, 2020 1:52 pm

I asked Seannery to please dial it back a bit, so we can hopefully get a better understanding without a headache lol.
~Insert clever bon mot here~